It is sometimes useful to have a virtual machine environment, perhaps to test out software on a different system, or perhaps to use software not available on your usual system of choice.
Virtualbox is a program which facilitates the installation of virtual machines. Three important points:
- It is free!
- It is available on Windows, OSX, Linux and Solaris
- It is developed/owned by Oracle (so is seriously supported)
Installing VirtualBox and Linux Mint
Rather than reproduce the instructions here, I recommend the following three posts (which are not so easy to find with Google if the correct keywords are not used). The posts were written by Ben Chapman and are really clear.
- Part 1: Installing VirtualBox on OSX
- Part 2: Installing Linux Mint on Virtualbox
- Part 3: Enabling shared folders and clipboard sharing
I really recommend the third post which shows how to create a shared folder between your virtual machine and the host computer, and also shows how to enable clipboard sharing.